Painting over old vinyl wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, Im new to this site so please forgive me if Ive posted in the wrong area. Im looking to paint a lounge to give it a fresh look. It has some old vinyl paper on it which in fairness is in ok condition but is firmly stuck to the wall. To remove it would cause damage to the wall (1920's house) and I just want to give it a couple of coats of emulsion to change the look. I understand from advice I was given that I would need to paint it first with a product like Zinssers BIN. Im reluctant to do this due to the extremely high VOC content and I also have people suffering with Asthma who live with me so this isnt really an opition. Can anyone suggest a primer i can use on vinyl wallpaper that wont choke everyone out? Thanks

Sponsored Links
A few years ago I need to do a quick revamp of a lounge and painted straight over vinyl paper with matt vinyl emulsion. Many years on it still looks good. I would just avoid trying to do it where there is likely to be a lot of wear and tear as it probably won't stand up to much abrasion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back