Painting over part of mantelpiece only.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I attach an image of the part of the mantelpiece that needs fixed with a lick of paint, I'm not sure of the material but going by all the types available I think it is metal but thought to include an image to see what you think as to which particular paint to use.

I don't want to have to paint the whole mantelpiece if possible just the white missed part.
Uploaded via Android app.jpg

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, that's not a great picture. It looks as though it's gloss, and you're certainly going to get a lip on the new paint, so I suspect you'll need to do several coats and a bit of sanding just to get it level. But if you don't paint the whole mantel piece, or at least a good section of it, the you're almost guaranteed to get a colour mismatch on the new section.

If I take another picture would that help identifying it better?

Sponsored Links
The image vanished then when I tried to put it back again it appeared in the opening post. App issue perhaps?

Image appears again when viewed in landscape.

It look like a metal fire surround. The metal part that is showing needs sanding for the edges of the paint to blend in. Apply an undercoat and then top coats until it all looks ok. There is a vertical moulding line either side you can use as a break off point. It will show whiter though as it will be new paint.

It's an old cast iron mantle piece, and the paint coming lose has taken whatever was originally on it. It'd be hard work, but have you considered stripping it back to metal, and then blacking it.

A photo of the whole mantle piece would help
As said, a colour match will be very hard, so several coats to fill the gap before a whole mantle coat will be needed. I'd also be tempted to strip the whole thing

For certain reasons I am unable to send an image of the whole mantelpiece.

Does it not require to be completely flat to be fully sanded? the mantelpiece surround has curves and designs.

The length from top to bottom of the damage as seen in the pic is less than 2 inches.

I'm not illustrating this well, surely it would be hard to sand a designed mantelpiece? As the damage is quite small surely it would be hardly noticeable by painting over that damaged part only.

As others have said, your difficulty with painting just that patch is colour-matching.

Why not try and see what happens?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back