Painting over plastered plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I just got my room plastered. The room has an old fireplace which has been closed using a plywood for some time. The chap plastered over it.

Now before I paint it I'm wondering if there is any chance of it cracking? Should I just do first watered coat of paint and two normal coats? Alternatively, shall I put lining paper and then paint or am I better off putting wall paper?

Thanks
Neeraj

Sponsored Links
The chances of cracking would be really down to whether the plywood sub-base had joints taped, primed and sealed correctly prior to plastering and any movement in the ply and of course the plaster was mixed and applied correctly. I personally would have either replaced ply for plasterboard or plasterboarded over the ply.

As far as priming new plaster, diluted emulsion 4 paint to 1 water, if it is a good quality paint. If it is cheaper thin paint, less water will be needed.

Well, it is now already plastered nd getting the guy to plaster again is way too expensive. I don't think he taped the joins but probably mixed he plaster ok.

What do you reckon is my best bet here? Shall I bother painting it or just wall paper it? It is a very small portion 2-3 sq metre.

Also I think I messed up the first coat water ratio for other walls. I put 3 parts water for 1 part paint. Any clues what is the best way to proceed now? Shall I just paint normally or do another 4:1 paint:water coat?

Sponsored Links
Do another mist coat of 4-1 on the already primed areas.
If joints have not been sealed the chances are that cracks will appear over time on these joints.
The options are really down to you, you could paint and see who things go and if cracks do appear then go down the papering route or just paper and have done. But this does not guarantee that cracks may not become evident in time, even if you paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back