Painting over varnished cladding inside

Sorry to butt in Ladies, but thought I would give you a quick update on the job!

Bought a 2.5L can of Homesabe value primer which is oil based. It covered very well..nice thick paint. I did not thin it down.

I has now been 24hrs since I painted it, and no problems of varnich showing through (compared to another section I just did with emulsion, and some yellowing showed)

I will give it the rest of the week to fully dry and then give it a couple of coats of matt white emulsion next weekend.

The diffrence allready is shuch a brighter room, much cleaner looking and with a slight look of the sea side (dont ask me why)

Thanks guys for your top tips. ;)

Sponsored Links
you don't need to give it a week to dry. usually overnight will do. follow the drying times on the tin.

Zinsser BIN is expensive to buy and difficult to apply because of the rapid drying times but it is a very good product.

It cures fully in less time than many waterbased products (and any oil based product). It is also suitable as a durable finish coat (and can be tinted). The fumes given off are just alcohol and non toxic. once the paint has dried (usually within a couple of hours, there are no "toxic" radicals/fumes floating around in the air. I am no chemist but it may indeed be more eco friendly than waterbased paints post application

For what it's worth clean brushes with household ammonia. It is alkali and breaks down the paint,.

Sponsored Links
Jim,

Whilst a week on an interior application would be perhaps a lot longer than required to allow the system to fully cure, the new 2010 oil paint based paint systems have depending on location of application offer extended drying times. And seeing as you seem to have applied the product unthinned and would prefer to apply your finish coats under natural light, I think on your part that to be a wise decision.

Dec

On reflection my use of the word dry should not have been included.

I have touched the paint and it is fine, so I could quite easily paint over it now, but will leave it until the weekend.

It is still quite a strong smell... for gloss work I have switch over more recently to the water based as I find them better paint for application, end effect, odour and final clean up.

But the tip on using the oil based paint has done a great job....so much so that as part of the planned kitchen extension, we are now going to clad the new kitchen ceiling and paint that white.

We did think about using the white wood grain effect upvc cladding, but the painted effect is a bit more character.

Jim

For future prosperity, you can add terebene to oil based paints to make them cure faster.

Jim

For future prosperity, you can add terebene to oil based paints to make them cure faster.

i take it that terebene is dryers? didn't know the actual name.

been a while since i have asked for dryers.

opps";p="2174633 said:
Jim

For future prosperity, you can add terebene to oil based paints to make them cure faster.[/quote

hello opps, keeping well I hope.

Must admit that I have never cared for it's use, dont mind using the conditioners yet I have never believed in terebene

\dec

I had never used terebene until 2010.

When painting cabinets, the use of owatrol makes the terebene essential.

Without the terebene I just can't machine sand (400g) the first oil based eggshell for a week these days.

Yes I can see what you mean there, anyway how are you keeping mate been a while again.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back