Painting over vinyl or linoleum floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a bungalow built in 1980. The whole floor is covered in good quality vinyl or linoleum floor tiles. I guess that they are more likely, given their age, to be linoleum and may be made by Marley? This is a guess however.

I am completing the renovation and am now needing to renovate the floor. Ideally I would like to paint the floor to then cover all major areas (foot traffic areas) with rugs, so the floor that will be revealed will be fairly small and in non-critical areas.

1. I have cleared the old carpet to discover that the grippers were nailed down (rather than glued down) and there is some cracking of the tiles in some places. The gripper is still in place and to paint the floor these will need to be removed. Any ideas on this would be welcome.

2. Rustoleum (Europe) have advised against using any of their paint products (Zinnser).

3. In the USA there are some good examples of doing this job (on youtube) but use American products not available here.

Any thoughts or advice very welcome!

I could lay carpet or indeed overlay with laminate but painting would be my preferred option...

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If they are Marley tiles be aware they contain asbestos, do not sand them down to paint!
Go the laminate or carpet route and leave them undisturbed and you will be fine.(y)

Thanks footprints.

Yikes! I had not thought about asbestos....so carpet or laminate the only way, or leave them and wipe clean.....

Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back