Painting over wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I am planning on doing some faux wainscotting using some 8mm MDF. Like this -

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RpIpBe5wHFc/maxresdefault.jpg

I was going to get the bottom half of thralls boarded with MDF however have decided to just paint the walls. Currently there is wallpaper and as you can see I had a picture rail which I had removed. This is what I am planning to do -

1. Clean the wallpaper

2. Fill all gaps and sand

3. Use this as a primer/undercoat

https://www.diy.com/departments/zin...paper-matt-cover-up-paint-2-5l/1268439_BQ.prd

4. Paint with desired colour

Is there anything I am missing or any recommendations? Also what grit sandpaper would you recommend? I have attathed a picture of one of the walls.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
I am not a fan of painting over wallpaper. I did do it for a customer once. I had papered the room about 7 years earlier so I knew there was no issue with regards to over lapping seams. I used Zinsser BIN to paint the walls, tinted to the colour of her choice (hence no need for emulsion).

The reason for using the BIN was (as you are probably aware) the water in emulsion could cause the wallpaper to lift or bubble. It also provides a very durable finish.

I have no doubt that the Zinsser product you linked to will be ok though. I would recommend that you apply it before filling the paper. The water in the filer may cause the paper to bubble or ripple as the filler is drying.

I assume that you will be hand sanding, if yes fill with Toupret RedLite. The dust from a powder filler such as EasyFil sticks to everything, the RedLite doesn't. I'd sand it with 150 grit paper. The filler is softer than the paper though and you risk sanding back too far and seeing a slight step at the edges. After the first fill, apply one coat and then refill and sand very lightly if required.

Another alternative would be to strip the walls, sand them flat and line them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back