Painting over when wallpapaer takes chunks of old panit off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have finally decided to redecorate the hall and stairs the only problem is when we take the paper off it sometimes takes off the original paint that was on the walls when the house was first decorated by the builders about 20 years ago. The Paint is i think a vinyl type paint and either comes off in great big chunks leaving behind bare plaster which is good or comes off in big patches which is not so good. this then leaves a patch where there is a large step between the existing paint and the plaster. In the last couple of rooms we have managed to disguise it to some extent. But this is the hall and stairs and gets quite a bit of sunlight which tends to show everything up. I have tried scrapping it all off but in some places it does not want to come off and then i end up making it worse by damaging the plaster.
does anybody know of anything that will provide a nice base that will hide fill these blemishes ready for filling.

We were going to get the whole lot covered with lining paper but i ain't paying a decorator that much money when i can have all the fun of doing it myself
cheers in advance
Trigger

Sponsored Links
Scrape off as much loose as possible then give the wall a coat of Dulux stain block (thinned by about 20%)

Fill all around the edges and rub down..you might need to do it twice..

Then line using 1000 grade and ready mixed paste for extra adhesion..or ordinary papste with about 20% PVA added to it.

Thanks for that but

Change of plan still doing it ourselves but she who must be obeyed now wants to paint it rather than use lining paper. So how do i disguise the steps from plaster to paint.
Do i go mad with the sander and try and disguise the step or is it just a case of trying to build it up with paint or would something like a good quality base white emulsion work before finally deciding on the colour
I saw some polycell base coat is that any good.

As for the price it was just for labour no materials and it was over £350
cheers
Trigger

I wouldnt use an electric sander...they generate a lot of heat and could pull off more paint.

Sponsored Links
That's right over £350 and i forgot to mention we had to prep the walls as well

Latest update the old paint has stayed on apart from the odd patch but on one wall where it was coming off in chunks found out by accident that if i leave the steamer on for a bit then let it cool, it's like peeling sunburn and it comes off in great big sheets, then the little bits that are left i can get off with a scraper. so might not be that bad in the end

But what would be a good undercoat to to cover the little blemishes

Thanks for the advice sanding by hand i'll feel like the karate kid Wax on Wax off

Trigger

Why do you keep mentioning the price when nobody asked you how much you were quoted?
£350 sounds like a heck of a good price for the work you mentioned you should've torn his/her arm off!

The more I read your posts the more I think your having a dig at how much a professional decorator would charge you to do this job, which annoys me. Please forgive me if I'm wrong but thats the way it sounds.

£350 eh. So what :?:
Went to dentist yesterday - 20 minutes in chair........
£98 :eek:

plus....
£29 for 5 minute check up.

It makes me cheap, and other decorators.

Ah seh it meks me cheap.

I priced a hall, stairs, landing for a middle-aged couple once. I had a good look around, took some notes and told them that I would put the quote in the post. It was a pretty straight forward job so the quote was very fair. Do you know what the cheeky bitc*es last words to me were? KEEP IT CHEAP!!! Needless to say I never got the job and looking back now was bloody glad I didn't to be honest, people like that make me sick! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back