Cant get Old Paint Off Walls need help please !!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Can anyone help.

We are currently redecorating our new house. We are stripping the Hall Stairs and Landing of the wallpaper. The problem is that once the paper is off some places it is going down to bare plaster and others to paint which we cannot get off. Tried sanding but still wont come off.

Any ideas of a way of covering these patches. There is only approx 1mm difference but guess this will still show however many coats of paint we add.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi. If your painting onto stripped walls you need to make sure you get the old paste off. Sand /scrape any loose paint, sometimes it's better to line the walls if there are alot of defects. But basicly, fill over the line of the paint where it meets the bare plaster (on each crater) sand to get the old paint thickness to blend onto the bare plaster, then coat up all the bare plaster and filling with a thinned mist coat of emulsion. It's tricky and time consuming and if you dont get the paste off proper it will react against the emulsion and be a mess.

Good luck.

i think it might be best to line it....thats what i did. More work but once you get started with lining itl be done in no time. Its not that time consuming as it 1st looks.

Lightly sand the paint to remove all the flakey paint and Line paper it youl find it takes less time than to remove every bit of pain by sanding !!!
I couldnt be ar**d doing that !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back