Removed wallpaper-undercoat of paint came off in patches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I have just bought a property (it's about 12 years old), the previous owner had wallpapered every room of the house over a base coat of silk emulsion.
We've stripped most rooms of the wallpaper but unfortunately the paint underneath has also come off in large patches, leaving large bits of bare plaster and LOTS of patches of paint. We want to paint the walls, not have any wallpaper.
We've tried steaming and scraping the paint off but it's a very long and hard job, we're finding it really hard going what with working full time and two kids...is there an easier way to get the walls into a condition where we can paint them without the patches of paint showing up?

Sponsored Links
If it's just a few bad patches I would use easifill to fill & blend . But if it's lots then lining paper may be the best way especially on stripped walls where you may not have got all the old paste off. 'Skimming' sometimes best if damage is as bad as u say and if you're set on painting onto plaster.

To line , try some 1200/1400 grade with ready mixed adhesive. you may be suprised how easy and good it looks.

good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back