Painting over white matt emulsion with white silk!

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Using Dulux pure brilliant white silk and its going on like milk and not covering well, another mistake we seemed to have made is doing the cutting in first and it will appear that no matter how many coats we give it we'll still see the picture framing effect, will painting the whole wall AGAIN with matt emulsion work?

What are we doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Well I didn't time it but probably a few minutes, seemed long enough, if you think thats the issue I'll stir for longer

Might be. I use a plastic propellor on a metal rod, think it is by Bosch or Manders, in a small electric drill. You can also use a plastic cook's spatula which takes much longer. You have to lift all the solids that settle to the bottom. There are some much bigger ones that look like you'd use them to mix plaster. Avoid painted ones as the paint flakes off.

s-l225.jpg

Sponsored Links
Times may have changed but my dad was a tosher when young and he always taught me to tip the paint back and forth between two tins several times to mix it all up.

"boxing." Also avoids difference in colour between cans or batches by mixing them before you start using a new one.

This is a 10L tub probably 2/3rds left, given it a proper shake as theres lots of room for it to mix and then gave it a proper stir, its gone on better and less patchy, my main concern is the picture frame effect borders where she cut it in first but didn't get me to paint the wall while it was still wet, I've left a 3" border all round to see if I can blend the new with the old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back