painting over wood filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am hoping someone can give some advice please.

I'm painting my sons bedroom. The walls & woodwork are all finished apart from the wooden window frame & sill. The woodwork in all the room was previosly painted with an oil based satin which I sanded well, undercoated with Dulux trade quick drying wood primer undercoat & then put on 2 coats of crown non drip satin (both are water based, as I want it to stay white). The double glazed window gets quite a lot of condensation on it so I had to scrape off a lot of flaking paint, do a fair ammount of filling with Ronseal wood filler, Its now been sanded really well.
My questions are

Do I need to prime the filler or can I just paint over with the water based primer/undercoat & then top coat with the satin or is it best to use an oil based undercoat/primer & then go over with a waterbased topcoat. I dont want the paint to start cracking & peeling in a couple of months tme.

Sponsored Links
Yes just give it a couple of coats of the waterbased primer/undercoat.

Dec

Sponsored Links
lesley if your condensation problem is bad that in time will cause any paint system to fail, you really should try and increase the ventilation to try and stem this problem.

Dec

It is a small box room, so I now get my son to leave his bedroom door open at night & open the window a little, but in winter it does get cold & I often find the window shut again in the morning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back