Painting pebbledash - DIYnot roundup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about painting the front of my house which is pebbledashed. Here's a roundup of the advice I've found on this forum. I'd like to hear your opinions on which is the best advice!

"Best to use Pliolite Resin Based Masonry on top of pebbledash. This is due to painting over two different surfaces being the pebbles and the render. You need to thin down first coat though as per tins instructions."

"I tried painting my pebbledash and gave up. I then tried a company who painted the whole house in no time at all. it was amazing they have a website www.exteriorhousepainters.co.uk only 2 people!"

"Give it a good brushing down first with a stiff brush to remove any loose stuff then use a prodec lifetimer sleeve on it..thin the first coat out by about 15% if it hasnt been painted before" Where can I buy Pro Dec Lifetime sleeves?

"
I find the best is something like this.

An 10 inch Pro Roller Refill X Long Pile - Super Tough Polyamide."

"Sheer hard graft:
Use masking tape to mask any brickwork/windows etc,sheet up windows/walls/paths/cars/neighbours cars/windows/dogs (4 legged).
Use a 4" yellow handle masonry brush for cutting in and use a long pile 6" roller (9" could be too heavy) that's best suitable for masonry/dashwork, working out of a paint scuttle if up ladders.
Load the roller generously, don't be skinny with the paint,don't thin if you want good coverage, don't use rubbish paint.
You wont go wrong with Johnstone's Stormshield smooth water-based masonry or Dulux weathershield."

My conclusion is that you only need need a stabliser if the surface is chalky or dusty, by the best quality breathable paint you can and don't underestimate the elbow grease required.

Hope you guys don't mind discussing this once again.

thanks

DK

PS Here's the front of my house. http://www.flickr.com/photos/danrkelly/1964034986/in/set-72157594503292303/

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back