Painting pebbledash walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'd like advice on the best way to paint exterior walls which are pebbledashed .
Is a good quality masonry paint ok to use with a roller? and what is the preparation required.
Any advice appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most exterior masonry paints will be fine.

I tend to hose and brush down first. Applying dilute bleach where there is green growth.

A thickish roller will be fine. Get a decent telescopic extension pole to reduce the amount of ladder work required.

I wouldn't use a waterbased finish at this time of year though. Most need to stay above 5 degrees for about 24 hours. Solvent based paints are more forgiving but less convenient to work with.

Thanks for the advice all taken on board and much appreciated, especially for using a telescopic pole. I did see a video suggesting starting at the bottom and working up. Is this the best way or is it just a matter of choice?
Regards Jaybee

I did see a video suggesting starting at the bottom and working up. Is this the best way or is it just a matter of choice?
Regards Jaybee

TBH it doesn't make much difference.

Regarding the pole. When extended you may need to put the tray quite far away, unless you are happy to make it long/short/long/short.

Some of my poles will reach gutter hight (2 story house) but it is difficult to apply pressure.

I would recommend that you use a roller and pole with a thread lock rather than the push in bayonet fittings. You don't want the roller to fall off or start to spin.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the advice. I'll wait until the weather gets a bit warmer before I tackle it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back