Painting pitted and half painted Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Just taken owner ship of a 1950 semi and wanted some decorating advice please

We have stripped all the old wall paper off + the coving that was lining the top of the room. There were a lot of layers of wall paper and paint but we have taken it right to the base colour that is mostly white. The issue I have is that some of the paint was taken off while scrapping but a lot of it remains. If I paint this these walls now I know its going to look cr*p as there are so main imperfections on the wall. Also under the coving there is quite a lot of flaking paint, we have managed to get as much of this off as possible but a lot still remains.

I was planning on buying something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PSS-2...8&qid=1444083800&sr=8-4&keywords=bosch+sander

or this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Profe...&qid=1444083857&sr=8-34&keywords=bosch+sander

I was thinking that I could sand a lot of walls and get most of the paint off or at least enough that I could maybe paint the walls with some polycell paint to get the surface even smoother for the real paint??

So first question, Is this the right thing to do? Or are there any better tools to do this kind of sanding to making it easier and give a better finish.

I don't really want to get the room replastered or skimmed and money is a bit tight and we are using it to put in central heating:)...... and I was hoping to get rid of the property for something bigger! :)

The walls are not plaster board, so they are just brick with plaster over the top.

Thanks

Darryl

Sponsored Links
Save the money on sanders, and pay to get the room skimmed.

You mention the prospect of selling on and making the job right will add value, doing it in a DIYers half right will deduct value.

If the walls are salvageable, normal rules would be scrap all flaky paint, initial sand with 60g or 80g, fill all indents, sand in 120g, line all walls with a suitable weight lining paper, fill / rub back seams, block paper with 2 coats white emulsion then 2 top coats.

The time to do all that v £200, some pva and 5 bags of plaster...

As above, it will take a long time to sort out bad walls with an orbital sander and some filler. It would be easier to get it skimmed, and probably quicker to learn how to skim yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back