Painting previously varnished door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an internal porch door and frame to paint probably anthracite grey, it’s currently dark varnished.
It sees no bad weather.
I was thinking of trying the Zinsser all coat paint to save on time with prep etc, has anyone any experience of it?
2nd option would be Zinsser bin and then a topcoat satin.
Any advice on which of the above you would choose?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can save on the prep but you will have a door that is prone to chipping...

There is no substitute for sanding the surface.

The WB Allcoat Exterior Satin, is available in Anthracite off the shelf. You won't need additional primers (according to Zinsser).

https://www.zinsseruk.com/product/allcoat-exterior/

IIRC, if you need a dark colour mixed, you need to find a supplier that carries the clear bases. Many branches of Brewer do but if there isn't one near you, you can phone Zinsser and ask them which of your local stockist have the clear base.

Zinsser BIN is not recommended for exterior use, bar spot priming. To be honest, I have never understood why. I really should email them one day to find out why.

Thanks, I would lightly sand and sugar soap but just wondered about missing out the primer stage in favour of the all coat.

Sponsored Links
Sanding is essential here. Aluminium wood primer is also an acceptable primer for this job imo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back