Painting Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just moved in to a new flat that needs quite a lot of work doing to it.
At the moment I am just painting the walls in magnolia just to make it livable then will tackle 1 room at a time.

Just have a few questions about painting, as I want it to look really good.

1. I will be getting the walls plastered. What is the best way to start painting on to plastered walls?
2. The doors and skirting have more than one layer of gloss on them (2 maybe 3 layers). Whats the best way to to tackle them. I might just replace the skirting.
3. I want to get some decent brushes and rollers, I know opinions vary but what are the best ones for home use?
4. How much should I spend on paint? Is it worth getting the dearer paint?

Hope you can help this amateur

Cheers

Buzz

Sponsored Links
1, use a thinned down matt emulsion to prime the bare plaster. I use dulux supermatt for this thinned down about 25 - 30 percent!

2, sand them as smooth as you can. Without looking at them I cannot advise on stripping. Normally with a good bit of elbow grease you can sand old skirts to a decent level.

3, you can't go wrong with a set of Purdy synthetic brushes for water based paint. I tend to use Hamilton perfection for oil based paints and use Hamilton woven roller sleeves for emulsion. You will want to go for a short pile if using silk as it leaves a finer texture. For matt I use medium pile.

4, when it comes to paint bear in mind you only get what you pay for.

Good luck ;)

Hi

I have just moved in to a new flat that needs quite a lot of work doing to it.
At the moment I am just painting the walls in magnolia just to make it livable then will tackle 1 room at a time.

Just have a few questions about painting, as I want it to look really good.

1. I will be getting the walls plastered. What is the best way to start painting on to plastered walls?
2. The doors and skirting have more than one layer of gloss on them (2 maybe 3 layers). Whats the best way to to tackle them. I might just replace the skirting.
3. I want to get some decent brushes and rollers, I know opinions vary but what are the best ones for home use?
4. How much should I spend on paint? Is it worth getting the dearer paint?

Hope you can help this amateur

With regard to the plaster skim a thinned emulsion is the way to go, and there is nothing wrong with supermatt thinned with 30% water, the doors and skirts could be brought back into suitable condition for a repaint by abrading with around 240 grit, yet without being able to see them it is difficult to say.

As for brushes the purdy synthetic is perhaps the best all round choice, good for both oil and water based paint systems. With regard to rollers my choice would be the purdy white dove. I think the most important thing to remember in your case as a diy'er if you want quality, look after them and the will see you good regarding future use. Regarding paint go for trade rather than retail products.

Dec

Cheers

Buzz

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back