Another question about painting a freshly skimmed room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so I had my rubbish walls completely skimmed and some bits deeply filled where there were holes and things. Anyway, the room is now virtually dry, so I wanted to start painting at the weekend. As a first-time house-owner and DIY-er, I have a few questions:
1) I understand that I should put a base coat on. Should I just buy some Dulux white emulsion and then dilute it 50-50? or do I need something special?
2) Do I put it on with a roller or is it better with a brush?
3) Do I just put one undercoat on and then my chosen wall colour?
4) How many layers of my chosen colour should I put on - 2?
5) Is there something special I should look for when I'm buying rollers and brushes? I gather there are different materials and lengths of brush on rollers - which ones are best for painting walls/ceilings.
6) For the radiator, which is already painted, should I just lightly sand and then paint with gloss? Do I need one coat or 2?
7) For new wooden skirting boards, do I need to undercoat as well, or can I simply paint my chosen colour straight on?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I get this room right, as it's the first one we're tackling....

Sponsored Links
amyboo said:
OK, so I had my rubbish walls completely skimmed and some bits deeply filled where there were holes and things. Anyway, the room is now virtually dry, so I wanted to start painting at the weekend. As a first-time house-owner and DIY-er, I have a few questions:
1) I understand that I should put a base coat on. Should I just buy some Dulux white emulsion and then dilute it 50-50? or do I need something special?
2) Do I put it on with a roller or is it better with a brush?
3) Do I just put one undercoat on and then my chosen wall colour?
4) How many layers of my chosen colour should I put on - 2?
5) Is there something special I should look for when I'm buying rollers and brushes? I gather there are different materials and lengths of brush on rollers - which ones are best for painting walls/ceilings.
6) For the radiator, which is already painted, should I just lightly sand and then paint with gloss? Do I need one coat or 2?

7) For new wooden skirting boards, do I need to undercoat as well, or can I simply paint my chosen colour straight on?

Sorry for all the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I get this room right, as it's the first one we're tackling....

1), yes, preferably matt. 30--50%
2)its much quicker with a roller.
3)you can either do the miscoat in white, if your going for a light colour, or if you have plenty of the colour, you can use that.
4)after your miscoat, and if using a really good make like Dulux, I would still slightly thin it down, buy about 10%, will be easier for you to work with.
5)depends if you want a flat finish on the walls, then go for a medium pile roller sleeve, get them in any DIY store.
If you want a more mottled effect, then you could use a synethitic sheeps wool type.
6), not advisable to paint gloss on gloss, or gloss on satinwood without a light rub down and undercoated.
If going for satinwood, there is no need to undercoat, just give the rad a light rub down.
7), all new woodwork need to be knotted, unless the knots have been pre-treated, then you prime, then you undercoat 2-3 times, then your top coat, if satinwood 2 top coats.
Dont forget to lightly sand between coats.

PS, your questions are not dumb, you are just trying to get it right, good luck, and let us know how you get on. :D

I agree there not dumb questions..you have already identified what you need to do and are asking the right questions about it.

Enjoy..

Thanks for your help everyone. We did the primer coats, 2 coats of emulsion on walls and ceilings, and 3 coats of gloss on the woodwork (water-based gloss - still seemed to be a bit patchy after 2 coats) - it all looks brilliant! We used rollers on the walls/ceilings and managed to get no marks! I even managed to get to grips with cutting-in, after buying a decent brush and reading some tips on here. Carpet being fitted on Monday, then all that's left to do is the light fitting and the curtain rails. I'll post some pics when it's all done. I just wanted to thank you for your help with the painting.

Sponsored Links
Carpet being fitted on Monday

Make sure you warn the carpet fitter that he is careful not to mark your new pride and joy paintwork-then he will be more careful! Fair enough it isn't easy to lay carpet without the odd marks...but I once had the wallpaper, door frames, skirtings and emullsioned walls all spolied when a living room carpet was laid-all after months of prep and the house was nigh perfect! The carpet looked good though :(

whitespirit said:
Carpet being fitted on Monday

Make sure you warn the carpet fitter that he is careful not to mark your new pride and joy paintwork-then he will be more careful! Fair enough it isn't easy to lay carpet without the odd marks...but I once had the wallpaper, door frames, skirtings and emullsioned walls all spolied when a living room carpet was laid-all after months of prep and the house was nigh perfect! The carpet looked good though :(

Thanks for the warning. I'll be there when he fits the carpet, so I'll definitely give him a few strong words about being careful with my paintwork!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back