painting radiators

3 1/2 years later.............

But you still have to spot prime any bare metal right?

Sponsored Links
I have radiators which were painted previously, I have scrubbed them lightly with steel wool.
Do I need to apply a Metal Primer on it ?
I have Dulux Once Gloss which I intend to use over the radiators . This paint doesn't require the use of undercoat ( as mentioned on the can).

Metal primer is for new/bare metal . ..Might be hard going with that one-coat stuff..Trade eggshell will be more durable & cover easier

As long as surface is sound and previously painted. Try thinning the gloss a little, apply heavy but even, and keep edge wet, keep laying off quickly as you go. when you finish the rad wait a few minutes then check for any runs, if you see any, dry out your brush onto newspaper, then lightly stipple out each run.
Done it like this for yrs with just a light abrade to dull the old gloss then a clean off usually only one coat. ;)

Sponsored Links
I always prefer the rads ever-so-slightly warm..
Still think eggshell looks nicer than gloss on them.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back