radiator paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do i have to use radiator paint on my radiators? or can i use an undercoat followed by gloss paint.

Sponsored Links
hawkins388 said:
Do i have to use radiator paint on my radiators? or can i use an undercoat followed by gloss paint.

No! dont buy (expensive) special paint. Just use any conventional gloss paint. (solvent based). Dont use undercoat on heated surfaces it will soften, crack and flake. Just clean surface and give one or two coats of Gloss. I tend to thin a little and apply librally making sure you lay off bottom to top evenly and gently to give a brushline free finish.

Whatever you put on will yellow in time.
good luck.

confidentincompetent said:
hawkins388 said:

No! dont buy (expensive) special paint. Just use any conventional gloss paint. (solvent based). Dont use undercoat on heated surfaces it will soften, crack and flake. Just clean surface and give one or two coats of Gloss. I tend to thin a little and apply librally making sure you lay off bottom to top evenly and gently to give a brushline free finish.

Whatever you put on will yellow in time.
good luck.

What C/C says.....and....

I use an undercoat I must admit but only becasue I use dulux aquatec water based finsh for the top coat on radiators...its meant to be ok for heated surfaces and not meant to yellow..(ive finally found a use for aquatec....overall its cr*p)

Actually ive got away with any water based gloss on rads after undercoating them with oil first...

But as c/c says...dont bother with expensive paints like radiator paint.....plus most of them require you to turn the rads on full after they have been painted....then off....the back on again etc....plus they stink to high heaven

Hmm actually zamp When I had a chat to a dulux rep about this aquatec not drying problem I asked him about using aquatec undercoat on rads and he said no gloss only on rads. Mind you I find I need two coats of aquatec on rads. I share your veiw on aquatec and what I had left i did use on rads only but havn't used any since. It dont do what it says on the can.

Sponsored Links
confidentincompetent said:
Hmm actually zamp When I had a chat to a dulux rep about this aquatec not drying problem I asked him about using aquatec undercoat on rads and he said no gloss only on rads. Mind you I find I need two coats of aquatec on rads. I share your veiw on aquatec and what I had left i did use on rads only but havn't used any since. It dont do what it says on the can.

Sorry didnt make meself clear really...I used traditional oil based undercoat then the aquatec....

I cant bring meself to use two coats of that stuff over the top of old gloss or even a prefinished rad.

As for it not doing what it says on the tin...exactly!...it DOESN'T dry quick....it DOESN'T cover.....it DOES however..smell like oil based gloss (so whats the point in that??) it DOES stay soft for a few days...

Handy for keeping a wet edge though when brushing a door.....(about four days!!!!!)

Two good points though...excellent sheen level and very nice consistancy.

Dont bother with the Dulux helpline...if you flag up a problem with them all you get back is....'we havnt heard of any problems like that'...

Helpline yeah lol
Actually it was at a trade demo, He offerd me free ltrs to shut me up lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back