Painting radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some 4 colum cast iron radiators that I have has sand blasted and primed and I need to find some paint to top coat them with.

The problem I have is that although there is radiator paint on the market from plasticote and hammerite which resist yellowing and flaking I am having difficulties finding a wider choice of colours than just magnolia, white, chrome. I would like a wider choice to suit the individual room designs.

I think it easiest to spay paint them as reaching inside the colums would be tricky with a brush, I could be wrong.

Have you recently been really happy with a paint for radiators? Please let me know.

Kind regards Mike

Sponsored Links
I was looking for a DIY solution although at £20 a rad I would be tempted the only problem is they are in Kent, I'm in Nottingham.

Sponsored Links
A day in the south might be nice but it isn't a DIY solution which is what I was after. After all it is the joy of doing a good job yourself isn't it.

You could just get Johnstone's or Dulux ordinary trade gloss or satin.
If they're not going to be white , I cant see a problem with it.
In fact , i've never had a problem with white radiators and ordinary gloss or one coat gloss.
If they're properly primed and you don't set fire to them :LOL: they will be good.

Mike1999 said:
I have some 4 colum cast iron radiators that I have has sand blasted and primed and I need to find some paint to top coat them with.

The problem I have is that although there is radiator paint on the market from plasticote and hammerite which resist yellowing and flaking I am having difficulties finding a wider choice of colours than just magnolia, white, chrome. I would like a wider choice to suit the individual room designs.

I think it easiest to spay paint them as reaching inside the colums would be tricky with a brush, I could be wrong.

Have you recently been really happy with a paint for radiators? Please let me know.

Kind regards Mike
Hammerite do radiator paint in the Dulux Pallette in 1200 colours http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/.../Specifiers/Products/datasheets/HMTX10183.pdf

Will Hammerite be a suitable paint over the primer though :?:

Sorry - Just seen that it's water-based!
It does say -

Not suitable for use on equipment which may operate above 80C (176F)

Is that hot. :confused:

Growler said:
Sorry - Just seen that it's water-based!
It does say -

Not suitable for use on equipment which may operate above 80C (176F)

Is that hot. :confused:
Hammerite Radiator Shades is designed for water filled radiators and pipes. Also, it says on Hammerite Radiator Shades pdf that on cast iron surfaces should be primed before applying Hammerite shades for best results use Hammerite No. 1 Rustbeater. However, it doesnt you must use Hammerite No. 1 Rustbeater !

Thanks for you help, is the hammerite available as a spray paint?

This is what is written on there web > Radiator Shades

Combines a heat resistant non-yellowing, durable finish with the fastest selling colours from Dulux. Available in Satin and Gloss finishes.

Pack sizes
500ml, 400ml Aerosol

Colour range
1200 colours available via Dulux in-store mixing system. 10 ready mixed colours: Natural Hessian, Natural Calico, Natural Straw, Natural Wicker, Magnolia, Soft Peach, Lilac Love, Sugared Lilac, First Dawn. Willow Tree. Aerosol also available in Chrome and......................................................So, best thing to do is ask them being Hammerite and click on here to do so http://www.duluxtrade.co.uk/webapp/...adv&id=522&root=P&contentPage=AdviceHome.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back