Painting Satin White Paint On New Wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry I'm a newbie here and wondered if you could help me on the correct process with this. I have just had new skirtings and arcitrive fitted and want a Satin white finish.

My understanding is to treat the knots, primer and then two coats of satin paint finish.

Is this correct ? If so how long before painting do I treat the knots. How long after priming can I then start the satin finish. I have painted for a number of years and been happy with the results but this is the firstime I have done anything with bare wood.

Thanks for any help given

Sponsored Links
Try an aluminium primer, this will seal resinous bleed and prime the woodwork in one application.

The following day apply one coat of undercoat, and again on the following day give it a coat of Dulux Trade Satinwood this is self undercoating and one coat may suffice. Dont forget to prep between coats. ;)

Dec.

assuming this is softwood were talking about ! i wouldnt bother with aluminium primer myself as it can be a bit of a pain to cover with with white especially on sharp edges,
i would go one of 2 ways , for both make sure your nail and screw holes are filled then sanded back ,

then apply knotting solution to knots ( you can get white knotting if you like )
prime with an oil based white wood primer , this will be quite slow drying(16-24hrs) and will raise the grain ,
so when hard dry , sand off with a 240 grade aluminium oxide paper or similar ,
then apply 1 oil based white undercoat and when dry(again prob 16hrs or next day) just lightly sand with the above just to remove any small nibs ,
then give it 2 full coats of your oil based satinwood lightly de nibbing between coats
Or
prime wood with the shellac based zinnser bin ,which is slightly more expensive but you wont need to seal knots separately and it is white as opposed to the grey of aluminium primer, also it will be dry in an hour and rubs down lovely and smooth with the 240 paper ,
then you may get away with 2 coats of satinwood ,
but if your in doubt give it either another coat of zinnser or a coat of undercoat before your 2 coats of satinwood ,obviousley giving it a light sand between coats ,
I always think you get a better finish on new woodwork giving it 4 coats as above rather that try to get away with 3
:D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back