Satin paint over gloss....advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and I hope some of you guys and girls can provide some help.....

I've recently painted all the bedroom doors with a quick drying satin paint as I was decorating the stairs/landing.

It was the following paint

Crown Quick Dry Satin Paint Pure Brilliant White

The doors were previously covered with an old gloss.

After removing all the doors and spending the best part of a week getting them painted, I've realised that the new Satin paint peels off very easily. I know that very soon they will be covered in marks and will look very bad.....

I've now conceded that I will have to scrape off the satin, remove the doors and start again.

I need the new satin paint to bond properly like a gloss so it doesn't chip/peel as right now I can easily scrape it off with my fingernails.....

What I want to know is the following.

After reading up on it, I understand the gloss has to be sanded down first before the satin is applied.

How much does it need to be sanded, right down to the wood or just until the surface is a little rough? What grade sandpaper would you recommend?

After I have finished sanding, do I need to prime/undercoat it or can I just apply the satin again? I really want it to bond properly this time as it's going to be alot of effort and I cannot afford to mess it up again.

If I do need to undercoat what sort of paint should I use?

Is there any other thing I need to do before top coating?

Finally, I have also installed some new architrave and skirting.

The architrave is bare wood.....can I just apply the satin over this from the off or does it need prep as well?

The skirting is MDF which came pre-primed, again, can the satin be applied over it straight away or are there any other steps required prior to top coat?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've got a lot of wood to paint and don't want to mess it up again.....thanks for reading and any help/suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Best not to use 'quick drying'/water-based paint as its pretty c*** !
In any case gloss should be lightly sanded with 80-100 grit oxide paper to provide a key to painting.
Following this apply two coats of oil-based Satinwood (its self undercoating)
Same with the skirting - 2 coats of satinwood
Buy TRADE Crown/Dulux/Leyland etc

Thanks for the reply and advice LJW61.

The only problem I have with oil based is that it might yellow.

On my landing the walls are about 95% wood because it's all doors, so a decent colour on it is imperative.

However, there is virtually no natural light there and a bit I glossed a month ago is already creamy/yellow.

This is why I have chosen the satin paint as I am not aware of any alternative.....

Sponsored Links
Yep, this also crossed my mind.

I have been looking for a nice, aged white, the type that is off white in a grey sense as opposed to a creamy type, but still essentially white.

Any suggestions?

I have to ask though, if the off white is oil based will I not just have the same problem of it yellowing?

Yep, this also crossed my mind.

I have been looking for a nice, aged white, the type that is off white in a grey sense as opposed to a creamy type, but still essentially white.

Any suggestions?

I have to ask though, if the off white is oil based will I not just have the same problem of it yellowing?

Crown Solo Satin.
Initially it look Brill white, then , goes "off" a bit. Not yellow but grey...ish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back