Painting single brick thick garage wall with damp inside?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a new build garage built with a single brick skin, and the bricks are very porous. I've had the outside treated with silicone, and this has been successful, I no longer have water running down the electrics on the inside! The roof is tiled and there's no ceiling so the interior ventilation is good. The brick surface seems bone dry, but i noticed when drilling for shelving that the interior of the bricks seemed to be damp. I'd like to paint the walls and I my question is if I only painted to maybe 2/3 of the way up the wall the wall would it still be able to breathe? Or am I still trapping the damp in the brickwork?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Find out where the water is coming from and rectify it.

Are the gutters or downpipes leaking?

Is ground level above the floor?

Is it condensation from a damp slab?

Is rain running in under the door?

I know where the water comes from, it's soaking through the bricks. Everyone else on the estate has the same problem with their garage. Heavy rain/strong winds then water comes through the bricks. As I said in my post, it's not coming through anymore since the exterior was treated with silicone. There is residual damp in the bricks (I think!). I'm asking if I can paint the lower 2/3 of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back