Painting Skimmed Wall in Middle of Already Painted Wall - Changing Colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hope the title made sense!
Basically, I have boxed in a fireplace in the middle of the wall and have skimmed it.
See picture below:

IMG_0572.jpg

I am painting the whole wall in F&B Charlotte's Locks - which is a kind of flame orange.

I've tested the paint on the exiting red (maybe Crown Period Colours - Scarlett Ribbon, I can't remember), and comes out how I would like it.

My question is, how should I prep the skimmed wall?

I was planning on 1 or 2 white mist coat.
Then maybe find a cheap red close to the existing red and do one coat of that.
Then 2 coats of the orange on all walls
???
I don't want to paint all walls white and orange on that as it may be brighter than I want.
Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I don't think it makes a difference to the final colour what the previous colour was.

Wall paint goes on a lot thicker than on a car.

By the time you've done 2 maybe 3 coats there won't be a difference regardless of what base paint is used

Hi, thanks.
Pretty sure I'm seen somewhere that painting on dark v light backgrounds will make a difference.
It would be fine on different walls, but not sure if it would be noticeable on the same wall?

When doing the mist coat just mist over the current red too! Make sure the plaster is fully dry first though.
If you're doing two mist coats then two coats of the finished colour on top will be plenty. Please don't put a red on the new plastered wall!

Sponsored Links
Two coats of the final colour should look the same whether it's been put on top of white or red. Remember the final coat will be going on top of orange anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back