painting skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We are about to paint our skirting board.
There are quite a few chips on it - and it looks like there is paint underneath the top coat of gloss.
I'm pretty sure the top layer does not have lead in it but am worried that the layers underneath might have.
My idea is to fill over the chips with Ronseal woodfiller and then prime it with Zinsser Bullseye.
This way I hope I can make any lead paint underneath secure and also avoid any need to sand and create dust.
Does this sound an OK way to go about it? And, should we put the filler on before or after the primer?
Ta

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the possibility of lead in earlier coats of paint.(unless you have pretty serious lung conditions or a new born baby)

You exposure to to lead will be pretty minimal if you are sanding skirting boards given that most of the dust will fall downwards.

I would fill first and then use bog standard undercoat (assuming that you are not sanding back to bare wood).

You mention Ronseal woodfiller, I assume that you mean the two pack filler. There are several brands that cost much less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back