Painting Skirting Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When fitting new skirts I have painstakenly masked off the wooden floor and then painted. When removing the tape I am always left with some over spill on the floor, albiet a very small amount but it still looks amateur. So 2 questions.

1) How do I paint the skirts whilst fixed to the walls without overspill.

2) What is the best substance to use to clean the paint (Gloss or eggshell) off the floor without damaging it.

Cheers

Mark

Sponsored Links
There is normally a slight gap between skirting and the floor boards. Try slipping sheets of a glossy magazine (thicker than newspaper) in this gap, and tape together. Remember to remove the paper before the paint hardens, or any overpaint will act as a glue and you'll be left with bits of Practical Gardener!!

For any areas where the skirting does actually touck the floor, careful masking is the only answer.

Hope that helps..

Fastmonkey said:
2) What is the best substance to use to clean the paint (Gloss or eggshell) off the floor without damaging it.

Cheers

Mark

Depends on the finish used on the floorboards. On lacquered floors wiped of the (hopefully) still wet paint, or very carefully use same product you use to clean paint of brush.

If oiled, you might have a problem if the (wet) paint has been left to long and might have penetrated the wood. If so, try to clear off the paint with a non-fluffy cloth (not rubbing, just lightly depping - can't find the correct Enlgish word, hope you know what I mean). If not all paint can be removed try 'sanding' the spot with steelwool 0000 (non-abrasive). Wax the spot afterwards.

Sponsored Links
RKB said:
There is normally a slight gap between skirting and the floor boards. Try slipping sheets of a glossy magazine (thicker than newspaper) in this gap, and tape together. Remember to remove the paper before the paint hardens, or any overpaint will act as a glue and you'll be left with bits of Practical Gardener!!

For any areas where the skirting does actually touck the floor, careful masking is the only answer.

Hope that helps..

And careful cutting in...ive seen it before, once the masking tape goes on people tend to sling the pain on like its going out of fashion.......paint will creep under the tape very easily so you should still cut in carefully keeping the brush 'dry'

To remove the paint i would fold a piece of glass paper carefully and use that.....the as someone suggested touch up with oil/varnish. wire wool may scratch the surface of the skirting board you have just painted....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back