Painting skirting with carpet down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Before pulling up the carpet I'm wondering/hoping if anyone has a nifty trick to avoid getting paint all over the carpet whilst painting skirting board?

In theory laying dust sheets tightly at the edge of the carpet sounds fine but I can see a lesson learnt coming before I even start...

Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Vacuum the carpet edge first so that the masking tape doesn't just pick up dust and dirt.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Use water based paint. It won't go yellow and you can get it off the carpet if you need to.

I prefer to use duct tape as it's a bit easier to handle than parcel tape and some masking tape won't stick well to fluffy carpets. Make sure you leave enough tape to tuck down the edge of the carpet (use a flat scraper) and don't lift it until the paint has fully hardened.

From personal experience I think no matter how careful you are, no matter what tape you use there is always a risk of spillage.

That said I always take the carpet up, yes its a little more hassle but I never get paint on my carpets :)

TT

I've always used a caulking blade, it is a wide, usually about 12" stiff metal filling blade with a handle used generally for taping and jointing. I push the blade in to the junction between the carpet and skirting board angled towards the skirting and then pull it back towards the carpet. Probably not the best idea though if your carpet has a long pile. Tip! give it a wipe after each use. Hope this is helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back