Tips for glossing skirting boards with carpet still in situ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone pass on good tips as to painting skirting board with the carpet still down?? Don't really want to pull up the carpet to get access to all the skirting board, are there tips/techniques for achieving this?
thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I too use 2" tape. I lay the tap so that it is about 1cm too close to the skirting. Using a 3 or 4" filling knife I push that extra tape into the gap between the skirting and carpet. This allows you to get lower down the skirting than tape on the top of the carpet would.

Try not to force too much paint down towards the bottom otherwise it will build up and take ages to dry.

I tend to remove the tape the day after the final coat and if I have any paint buildup line I scrape it off with my finger nail.

Use the same technique for door architraves, tear the paper into small bits and push them in using a paint tin open, key or other such narrow implement. This is quite important as it is easy to apply too much paint to the narrow profiles and you could find yourself with a little puddle at the bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back