Painting Soil Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

So looking at my next job around the house and it's now time for the Soil Pipe.

Can you recommend if it's worth repainting or replacing with UPVC?

If repainting what's the best method please and I guess the old paint will need removing first, any tips materials to use please?

Some pictures attached, it appears to be a cast iron pipe, house built 1935.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_7391.JPG
    DSC_7391.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC_7392.JPG
    DSC_7392.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
Worth salvaging.

Scrape off all that flaky stuff, and remove all the crud and as much rust as you can.

Then thoroughly sand it down. Remove any rusty residue with a cloth.

Try to cover the wall up first, as this will make the wall dirty.

I would use a Hammerite anti rust primer, may as well give it two or three coats of primer if you can, then undercoat(s), then final finish.

If you aren't fussy about the final colour, and you don't fancy too many trips up the ladder, use a Hammerite smooth finish instead of priming and undercoating, and use at least two or three coats.

Worth salvaging.

Scrape off all that flaky stuff, and remove all the crud and as much rust as you can.

Then thoroughly sand it down. Remove any rusty residue with a cloth.

Try to cover the wall up first, as this will make the wall dirty.

I would use a Hammerite anti rust primer, may as well give it two or three coats of primer if you can, then undercoat(s), then final finish.

If you aren't fussy about the final colour, and you don't fancy too many trips up the ladder, use a Hammerite smooth finish instead of priming and undercoating, and use at least two or three coats.

Great thanks for the advice

So I've just started withthe bottom section of the pipe for now, I've scraped most of the loose paint from this section, was wondering if I needed to remove the rest as it's pretty secure? Or would a couple of undercoats cover existing? I'll start with this small section for now

Attachments

• DSC_7409.JPG
    DSC_7409.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_7410.JPG
    DSC_7410.JPG
    557.7 KB · Views: 234
Sponsored Links
Hammerite metal paint goes on roughly sanded surfaces well, even over bits of rust. The blacks hammered finish looks good on soil pipes and ironwork generally. I've never needed to undercoat but you have to make that judgement.

Blup

was there ivy growing up it or something?

Yes I believe there was at one point, and then the previous owner attached an outbuilding shed to the side of the house (which I've now removd) so never bothered repainting the bottom section, tbh he painted the upper section the same awful colour as the pebble dash too, I just want to paint the lot black, I don't like gutters or soil pipes the same colour as house.. it's coming along will post pics when done

Bit more done today...

Attachments

• DSC_7424.JPG
    DSC_7424.JPG
    701.2 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_7425.JPG
    DSC_7425.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 254
  • DSC_7428.JPG
    DSC_7428.JPG
    451.1 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC_7429.JPG
    DSC_7429.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC_7427.JPG
    DSC_7427.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 236

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back