painting stained hardwood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my brother-in-law had the great idea of painting some hardwood door frames (which years ago may even have been linseeded). We bought a primer/undercoat and happily painted away.

The paint was turning brown as we painted but we happily carried on thinking that once that coat dried, the next would be ok. Not so :confused: . Is there anyway we can cover this woodwork with white paint of any kind? I have read on here about the Dulux supergrip paint/melamine primer, but is it now too late to use this?

Also, when the kitchen worktop was installed, some kind of glue was used (I don't know why/which type of glue) and this is now all around the edges of the worktop and wont come off. I will try acetone as I have read on this site, but are there any more suggestions please?

Any suggestions appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Aluminium wood primer covers most things (including knots and burnt-off timber). The aluminium flakes settle down over each other to form an impervious layer. Bigger paint counters will have it.

Thank you for your help. I will look into getting some of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back