Painting Melamine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can only find old threads regarding painting melamine, wardrobe doors. Have done some research & know to use a small soft roller (not too hairy or foam), clean doors thoroughly, sand down to get a good enough 'key', but can't find a few recommendations for primer & melamine paint.

Only 1 from someone who used 3 coats of Leyland Acrylic primer for wood & metal, then 2 coats of V33 for cupboards & worktops though the tin instructions for V33 says no primer necessary.

Anyone painted melamine lately? Thanks.
Bedroom3a.JPG

Sponsored Links
The Leyland primer will not pass the fingernail test. I do use it to prime timber and plaster though.

I normally recommend my customers against painting melamine. It isn't something that I have done for a few years. From memory the last time, I used the International brand of melamine primer but I did key it first.

The following may help

I have some Billy bookcases to paint at some point soon which are also melamine covered, my research eventually had me speaking with Zinsser, they're recommendation is as follows:

1. Wash them with hot soapy water and dry off (ie washing up liquid).
2. Wipe over with meths or white spirit.
3. Prime with Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer.
4. Paint with whatever paint you want to use, I'll be going with Dulux Satinwood.

I suspect I will give them a complete run over with the sander beforehand.

If you google painting Ikea furniture you will see more google results.

I have some Billy bookcases to paint at some point soon which are also melamine covered, my research eventually had me speaking with Zinsser, they're recommendation is as follows:

1. Wash them with hot soapy water and dry off (ie washing up liquid).
2. Wipe over with meths or white spirit.
3. Prime with Zinsser Bullseye 123 primer.
4. Paint with whatever paint you want to use, I'll be going with Dulux Satinwood.

I suspect I will give them a complete run over with the sander beforehand.

If you google painting Ikea furniture you will see more google results.

I don't understand number 2. Meths is good at degreasing, isopropyl alcohol is better though (no residue). White spirits however is pants at degreasing.

Sponsored Links
I was going to go with Meths as I've always felt white spirit leaves a little residue but isopropyl alcohol sounds like a better choice.

Both meths and white spirit leave a residue. The latter leaves more though. If applying oil based paints the residue left by white spirit isn't too much of an issue.

Meths is a weird product. My (lay) understanding it that it is ethanol that has methanol oil that has been added to make anyone silly/desperate enough to drink it go blind. If using it without gloves, you absorb the harmful ingredient. The same doesn't seem to be true of isopropyl alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is toxic if you drink it, but much less so than meths.

Frankly, I do not understand why any government would adulterate ethanol and create a product that will harm the people desperate enough to drink it.

Thanks for suggestions. Reason we decided to paint is it's a little used spare room & an 'alcove', but even just 3 doors & the track, quote was £2k (no fitting). Even Ikea was a pretty hefty price, so thought we'd only resort to purchasing afresh if we wreck the doors by painting.

Cheerss (& sorry for HUGE photo!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back