Painting Stained Wood.. - Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Throughout our house all the wood work is stained and looking quite dark so I decided to freshen the look up by painting it..

I purchased some stain killer paint on all surfaces super stuff from zinseer, and went about painting onto one of the doors. The first coat turned out to be quite yellow, from the stain, and so I popped on a 2nd coat.

Then painted 2 coats of white paint onto it, and finally finished it today in an eggshell finish paint from wickes.

To my horror, as the eggshell was drying, some patches had a tinge of yellow to it.... what has gone wrong and what on earth can I do about it..?? I fear one of my problems, is that as I ran out of white paint for the final coat of one of the sides of the door, I used some of that paint from asda..:( just to get the 2nd coat on..... but thought it would have done the job.

Anyone have any suggestions....??

Thanks Doug

Sponsored Links
Just read some other posts and i'm maybe thinking that the zinseer primer isn't doing it's job and as such the later coats are breaking down... so.... my plan is to sand down the top coat, and re prime, white paint... and hopefully that'll do it..

Do you guys agree and if so, what primer should I be looking at using?

I get best results with oil based undercoat.

Sponsored Links
in your opinion then Joe, should I reprime, or go and get an oil based undercoat and just pop it ontop of the sanded eggshell....

just concerned that the yellowing is coming through..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back