Painting Stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am currently preparing the hall, stairs & landing, we (lovely wife ;)) has said we would like the stairs staining fairly dark. So that's what I have been preparing for !

Today, :rolleyes: -- she has seen a picture where the treads are white / painted ?

If we go this route, would I use normal satinwood paint or would there need to be a "special paint" to withstand the footwork ?

I will be starting with bare timber if it helps ?

Many thanks for any advice.

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
Primer followed by two coats of oil-based eggshell but being white even this wont stay clean for long with all the 'traffic' !

Thanks,

That is my fear - getting the Mrs to understand that is proving difficult. :rolleyes:

I've just painted my bedroom floor white with Farrow & Ball floor paint. It looks great although time will tell how hard wearing it is.

Thinking of doing the stairs white too. Out of interest Stoyer, did you have to fill some gaps on the stairs and if so, what did you use? I used decorators caulk for the gaps between the floorboards but I've noticed hairline cracks in the caulk already so I might have to come up with another solution for gap filling on the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys,

I am not a fan of decorators caulk, I have never had a long lasting job with the stuff.
Like you say Mazdaq, looks good at first, but eventually it cracks or shinks and leaves a messy job. Maybe if used thinly and left to dry fully it is ok, but I won't use it if I don't have too.

I have used a product from a local firm I use called "TecSeal" its an adhesive sealant that sets. Used for fitting dado's, skirting boards etc.. Its there own brand so its not readily available.

It sets hard but not like rock, so I don't think it will crack ? Plus its water soluble so its so easy to work with and paintable.

My stairs are open plan so there is no filling to do. But I have topped the skirtings, door frames etc with the sealant I mentioned.

How big are the gaps you mention ??

Stoyer

You could try frame sealant, fills larger gaps and is a bit more 'heavy-duty' , available in acrylic form too
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back