Painting the ceiling above a shower cubical

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replastered the ceiling above my shower cubical (see picture) and sealed with Zinsser Bulls Eye then gave several coats of Dulux Easy Care Bathroom paint, but after a few months the paint has started flaking off.

Is there a more robust waterproof paint that someone can recommend that won’t flake off?

As you can see in the picture there is an extractor there, but not sure what good it’s doing!

Many thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7271.jpeg
    IMG_7271.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
No, you need to establish the cause, which is inadequate extraction. Leaving the fan on until the steam is cleared makes a difference. Place a tissue over the vent to test the strength of the extractor. If that doesn't work check in loft that the ducting is connected as it should be with no kinks or blockages and vents outside. Or does the extractor need upgrading?

Blup

A piece of tissue over the extractor stays put (and then falls off when you turn the extractor off). Perhaps I need to adjust the timer to keep it on longer once the light goes off

A piece of tissue over the extractor stays put (and then falls off when you turn the extractor off). Perhaps I need to adjust the timer to keep it on longer once the light goes off
You look to have a low ceiling which will requires more efficient fan , had twin fan outlets with similar situation and heavy duty fan in loft .

Sponsored Links
More insulation above. This is ours.
1000009201.jpg

I painted this in 2008.
I do have a room above but the void is packed with 9 inches of rockwool.
Never get any condensation on the ceiling and that's just standard emulsion applied.

Probably no paint on the market that will stand condensation so maybe fit a plastic ceiling if you can't get the condensation under control.

The ceiling is indeed very low and it’s right up in a loft space (hence the ceiling shape). Frustratingly the few inches of space above it isn’t accessible, except for punching a hole in the plaster. The fan ducting runs down the slope of the roof in the void between batons and plaster.

It sounds like a more efficient fan is going to be the way to go. I can at least access this. The ducting run is far from ideal though

It's not only the shower generated moisture but the entire house moisture condensating on the cold surface.
No fan is going to stop that unless it's going 24h a day and even then I doubt it.
I've seen 100s of bathrooms and had many conversations about fans and not once has a fan cured condensation and the problems caused Helps yeah. Cure no..
We get it on the 3 massive velux windows so run a dehumidifier downstairs and a smaller one upstairs for 4 hours in the evening. Collect about 2 litres of water a day.
Reduce moisture
Insulation to raise the dew point
Exstractor fan to take the steam out when showering.
Consider a dehumidifier

Put timer on to maximum and keep an eye on how long it takes for condensation to go.

Blup

Waterbased eggshell will be impervious to the moisture, so much so that excessive moisture may drip off the ceiling.

Subjected to steam, the paint will become softer until the water cools down. I have used it dozens of times in customers' bathrooms, after they had problems with regular emulsion- I do stress the importance of improving airflow. Never had a problem after using the eggshell.

Exterior oil gloss is water resistant. I am sure there are non-gloss equivalents.

Exterior oil gloss is water resistant. I am sure there are non-gloss equivalents.

In my experience, exterior gloss yellows pretty quickly when used indoors. It will work though, but waterbased eggshell is much easier to work with.

Good call.

It is probably cheaper than Dulux Trade waterbased eggshell, and is available as both a matt and satin finish.

I have never used their waterbased version but have previously been impressed by their oil based version.
I have this in my ensuite.
You could probably paint boat hulls with it. Marvelous stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back