Painting trouble.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

Well I’ve undertaken the task of painting my bedroom... I have a dead line of 3 days before the carpet fitters turn up… first I had to strip the wall paper there’s about 4 layers I’ve stripped most of it but there’s still some lining paper which refuses too come off, so I have some plasterboard on show with lining paper.. I thought this would be fine to paint on but it seems too peel a little in places and is fine in other places... will it all be fine after a few coats or is this a big NO NO.

Sponsored Links
Hi Disposable and welcome!

Yes, it is a No!

I think you've answered your own question, "some bits are peeling", it will look awful on completion, so its back to stripping if you want a decent job. Use hot water and give the lining paper a good soaking, you could try a spot of fabric conditioner in the water as it helps to penetrate the paper, allow it to soak in for about 5 mins and then soak again before scraping.

You've had paper up beforehand so you should get all the old wallpaper paste off the walls as this can react with the paint and cause cracking/bubbling/peeling. Give it a wash down with sugar soap and while its wet run over with a scraper, you should have loads of gunk coming off then give it a thorough rinse.

When its dry, check for any filling that needs doing, fill slightly proud to allow for shrinkage and when its dry give it a sand. At this stage its worth giving all the walls a light sand to get rid of any small knobbly bits.

NOW you're ready to start painting!

Dilute your first coat of emulsion by about 25% this allows the paint to soak into the wall properly, if you put it on neat (especially with new plaster) it sucks all the moisture out of the paint and the solids are just hanging onto the surface - and falls off. Dilute subsequent coats by about 10%, this keeps your paint wetter for longer and prevents brush and roller marks.

Don't know if you're doing the woodwork, but again, wash down with sugar soap, sand for a key, wipe down, undercoat and topcoat.

Hope this helps, give us a shout if you have any probs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back