Painting / Varnish a new bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wanted a new bath panel but couldnt find one that I like or afford so we have adapted a new wood door off a wardrobe, but what do I have to paint it with to seal it from any water splashing on it and warping the door. Do you just put on some ronseal exterior paint or will varnish seal it from water ????

Sponsored Links
Depends what finish the door has. Is it proper wood or plastic finish?
Personally I'd tile it, you know it makes sense.

it is pine effect, dont think it is proper wood, can not tile it as it is routed out to make a nice panel effect, could tile it I suppose if you fill it in, but then if anything happens to the shower, they would have to crack the tiles off to get at the shower / bath pipes etc ????

Forgive me for not explaining myself properly - you tile the back of the door. ;)
You can make it so that it's a push fit - it's not difficult. Mine's like that.

Anyway, it sounds as though you're against the idea - you could just fit it as it is. Most faux wood panels are of the same construction as wardrobe doors anyway. Having said that, they do split when they get wet. :rolleyes:
For painting, it depends on what sort of finish you want - if you want to keep it looking like wood, you could probably get away with varnishing it. If you want to paint it (successfully), you'll need to give it a coat of decent primer (zinser 1-2-3 or Dulux supergrip) first then paint it with what you like. These primers are expensive though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back