Painting vinyl wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to family circumstances last year, I paid a professional to wallpaper our hall, stairs and landing. Latterly we've noticed it seems as if the wallpaper is somewhat see-through (I can see wall dimensions written in pencil on the walls in a couple of places) and the paper is just too white for our taste. I can remedy this by painting it but it's a vinyl wallpaper so will need some kind of base/sealing coat before painting with a final colour coat. There appear to be a few choices out there but I'm asking (pretty please) for personal recommendations of what product to use to prepare the vinyl wallpaper for emulsioning in our chosen colour.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Did he not line the wall before papering? Anyway any decent eggshell finish will do the job nicely. Dulux have a nice range. Hope this helps.

This is eggshell finish I have it in my hallway.

Attachments

• DD736968-BCED-41F5-9D49-5F7B696BD660.jpeg
    DD736968-BCED-41F5-9D49-5F7B696BD660.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 128
No he didn't like as the walls were in great condition. Neither of us knew that it would be somewhat see through once dried.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you won't be able to blame the paper hanger either.
You could possibly give the wallpaper a light scrubbing over with some wire wool to key the surface or maybe apply a coat of primer before using an emulsion of your choice.
I would never use gloss on paper but you can get some nice shades in eggshell or satin, which are usually water based so not too smelly. Bear in mind, when you paint over paper it may bubble a bit but they will flatten out once the paper dries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back