Painting walls and ceiling in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys. We were going to completely gut the bathroom, but due to a change of circumstances it's not going to happen any time soon. Now's we are just going to refresh it.

Due to state of one wall i want to put lining paper up & then paint it. What's the best paint to go for.

Ceiling is clad with wood & is flaking in places & has mould in one corner where shower is. Best way to rid/cover mould & type of paint to do ceiling? Cheers in advance

Sponsored Links
You need to deal with the damp and humidity first.

Is there an extractor fan, and does it work?

Are the walls insulated?

You need to deal with the damp and humidity first.

Is there an extractor fan, and does it work?

Are the walls insulated?
It has an extractor fan fitted & seems ok & we open window whilst showering. Not on a timer thou.

It has cavity wall insulation too

As it is still damp I surmise the extractor is not up to the job. It will work better if the door and window are CLOSED and you run it until the room is dry. Is it a 100mm fan in a wall duct? Can you post a pic?

Sponsored Links
As it is still damp I surmise the extractor is not up to the job. It will work better if the door and window are CLOSED and you run it until the room is dry. Is it a 100mm fan in a wall duct? Can you post a pic?
100mm fan

Attachments

• IMG_20230225_144507.jpg
    IMG_20230225_144507.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 35
Looks like a typical cheap builders fan, will be rated about 80 cu.m/hr. Adequate for a WC or washroom, will struggle with a bath, inadequate for a shower.

You can buy a slightly better one, but a significant improvement would need to be bigger, and you are limited by the size of the hole.

Can you leave it running permanently? Does it seem to work? Is it noisy?

Looks like a typical cheap builders fan, will be rated about 80 cu.m/hr. Adequate for a WC or washroom, will struggle with a bath, inadequate for a shower.

You can buy a slightly better one, but a significant improvement would need to be bigger, and you are limited by the size of the hole.

Can you leave it running permanently? Does it seem to work? Is it noisy?
Lot of things have been done cheap and nasty we've found. It is quite noisy i must admit.

It has a separate switch on wall outside bathroom, would it be possible to install a more powerful one with a timer using same wiring?

It probably does not have the wiring to run a timer. But you could change it for a Silent 100 that you could leave running continuously.

This is quite a good price but you might find it better.

It probably does not have the wiring to run a timer. But you could change it for a Silent 100 that you could leave running continuously.

This is quite a good price but you might find it better.

Cheers JohnD. If left running all the time, how do you work out cost cheers

IIRC it uses about 10W

So would run continuously for 100 hours on 1kWh of electricity

Which costs me 15pence, though I believe the latest variable rate is about 32pence

Or to put it another way,

Not enough to worry about.

Just checked, it is 8Watts,

So would run for 125 hours on 1kWh of electricity

I use these, and they are so quiet I can't hear them outside the bathroom or WC when the door is closed. This is very handy in an en-suite where you don't want to disturb someone.

They are also sold under the "Soler & Palau" brand name, which is the parent company of Envirovent. The prices are sometimes different. I am very happy with the quality. They also make more powerful ones but they are too big for your position, usually fitted in the loft above the bathroom ceiling. Example on https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/replacement-bathroom-extractor-fan.606840/#post-5422494

IIRC it uses about 10W

So would run continuously for 100 hours on 1kWh of electricity

Which costs me 15pence, though I believe the latest variable rate is about 32pence

Or to put it another way,

Not enough to worry about.
Cheers JohnD, many thanks for this.

Another way is looking at installing an inline extractor fan, I know you have a fan installed but if you have space above in the void/loft these are three times the power of a wall mounted bathroom axial fan. As they are installed outside the room they are just as quiet too.

This will extract a lot of air at a similar energy usage rate of a bathroom fan.

I agree.

If you have access in the loft above, it could be much better. You would have to install a duct from the bathroom and out through the wall.

Are the walls so bad you have to cover them with lining paper?
If you're going to paint over it maybe see about replastering the walls instead otherwise the paper will become subjected to condensation.
You can use specially formulated bathroom paint - Wilkos do a good range - but for preventing mould you need a paint for that and won't be able to cover it afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back