Painting walls stripped of wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to paint some walls that have had wallpaper stripped from them. I know that I need to wash well to remove all the residual paste, but have 2 questions:

1. What happens if all the paste is not removed (i.e. I miss a bit)?

2. How long does it take for anything to go wrong if it is going to go wrong? What I mean is can I test an area and see what happens straight away or would it take some time for anything to happen?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If you leave any residue the paint there will 'pickle', youll see this within an hour of painting..Its possible to just scrape/rub this off when dry and repaint but always best to remove thoroughly in the first place - I use a green plastic kitchen pan cleaning (brillo) pad dipped in wallpaper paste solvent/remover disolved in hot water , rub the walls with this and sponge-off with warm clean water.. works a treat !
If the walls are really badly covered in paste or you just cant be bothered to spend a half day cleaning them them then its best to use lining paper:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back