Painting Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I've just bought a 1920's house so funds are a bit tight!! - but I don't really want to do temporary bodge jobs!

I have started with one of the bedrooms (approx 14' x 11' with 10' ceiling) and striped the wallpaper from the walls. The plaster seems in relatively good condition but as expected from a house this age there are areas of blown plaster - with several areas needing a touch up/filling.

Ideally I would like to paint on top of the plaster although certain areas are not quite in good enough condition.

I have seen a product called Polycell smoothover that sounds a bit too good to be true - is it any good? or would lining paper/painting be the best way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated - I'm also considering doing a plastering course - but wouldn't be able to do it for a while - and don't know whether I'd be able to do a good enough job of skimming.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if u search through the threads ull near enough always find an answer;

the right way is always plaster and never try to patch up as the cost of time, effort and mistakes can so easily cost more than getting a good plasterer in to bond, key and finish plaster; this way ull get 90 degree internal and external angles, giving you an ideal surface to always start on and get back onto if re decorating.

but if and unfortunately as there always is; you could,

use ' gyproc easy fill' ( get from b n q ) ; it s powdered, mix with water untill a poridge. apply to cracks ( u may need 2 applications if its bad) . sand the filler down to a level with walls (wear a dust mask ull need it n cover everything as the dust created goes everywhere , u have been warned! size ur walls with pva n water ( this is only done if you are lining) . line ur walls with 1000 grade or 1200 grade. u can if u want line twice this will even out the wall contours. then emulsion

my advice is - PLASTER ; ur walls are way beyond this extreme technique, it will be very hard for u to get a good paint finish; if u get that far.

You culd always just fill the walls up and prepare them and then line them and paint over.

If you intend to paint the walls that have been stripped you run the risk of the paint reacting with the old paste residue left behind

Plus..if there are lots of areas where you have made good, sanded, filled and sanded again there will be loads of variations in the surface..linging will sort these out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back