Painting woes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on painting my new house. A problem has arose in one room all the walls had wall paper with paint on top. I had to scrape the paint off them remove any excess paper. Once complete the underlying walls all had a thin coat of bright orange paint... I have painted directly from the tin with magnolia Matt emulsion by Dulux but now all the walls have loads of tiny cracks...any idea why this has happened?

Also I have a problem with the ceiling now too...it had a yellow tinge to it already possibly due to smokers in the house previously. It had a thin coat of white applied as well. I also painted direct from tin with Dulux white matt emulsion and now its got bubbles and peeling off! My father in law applied some damp sealer to some of the peeling areas with a brush and seems better but is that the right thing to do?

I hope someone can shed some light on my problems painting this house has become a nightmare!

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Firstly you should have washed off the the paste before any attempt to apply an emulsion paint was undertaken, your failiure to do this has caused the paint to craze.

With regard to the ceiling a thinned application of an oil based undercoat would have probably cured the staining, if these however were the the result of water damage one application of an Alkali Resisting primer would have been a better option.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back