Painting your roof tiles

I

ianbosher

I've registered to share my latest project with anyone who might find it useful.

I have a chalet bungalow type home which is surrounded by trees. The roof looked scruffy and parts of the tiling are old.

I did some research around how to clean it up. This is what I did. I am well pleased with the results and hopefully it will add not only kerb side value but a few extra years on the roof. It was all prettu straight forward, assuming you have reasonable access. It cost me £300 and is quite a big roof. I did however borrow my builders airless spray machine, otherwise you are looking at about £220 to hire one for the weekend!

1) I bought a Karcher K4 pressure washer kit from Screwfix. £100. Comes with a 'dirt buster' nozle amongst others. Which was perfect for the job. The pressure washer is very small and light which is ideal for dragging it accross the roof. The house was long enough. Dont be fooled by its size. I spent 2 days pressure washing the tiles. Initially from above working downwards but in fact it didnt raise any tiles or remove any pugging by washing upwards so crack on anyway you can. Dont bother with any detergents of patio cleaners. I did but some from Screwfix to go with it but you dont need it.

2) I bought a paint made by Mathys called Rustoleum DAC Hydro Plus bought from Promain who were the cheapest I could find ; [removed]
This paint is £105 per tub which is 15 litres. That was delivered.
Don't bother with the undercoat you are meant to use for Terecotta tiles. It didnt go on at all well. You will however need much more of the colour paint than it says on the tub. In fact double it atleast. Also dont worry too much about the spray machines nozzle size. I bought a 11 thou 4" tip as per the tech advice but this kept blocking and so I used the builders 17 thou and it didnt block at all and made light work of it. It possibly used a bit more paint but it was a lot quicker.

Sponsored Links
I have never seen a painted roof look good for more than 18-24 months. (and I've seen a a fair few) Sometimes the paint flakes off because of the effect of the weather, or it hasn't adhered properly in the first place. Some roof tiles have a gritty surface which washes off taking the paint with it. When the tiles move due to expansion a gap appears, and if there is any moss or bird droppings left after the cleaning they soon wash off leaving patches.

Cleaning the tiles is all all that is needed, personally I wouldn't entertain the painting. Once you've done it, it is likely that you will be repeating the exercise on a regular basis.

I tend to agree with the previous comments. Plus I can't imagine it will add any kerb appeal at all - in fact quite the reverse, especially after it's weathered for a couple of years.

Sorry but I think you have made a (fairly expensive) mistake!

I live in Sussex and I`d like to have a look if I`m passing :idea: I used to think it was a complete waste to paint a roof ( and riddled with itinerant workers ;) ) But I saw one in Hastings next to a M8`s house .It didn`t look too bad compared to the faded concrete tiles on the others . Would be interesting to see how it weathers

Sponsored Links
I'll add some pictures when I get a chance. I guess time will tell but it does look good compared to how it looked and if it preserves the roof for an extra couple of years I'll be well happy for £300. It is a very big roof so overall I feel its money well spent. I however wouldnt spend the £1000s of pounds some of the companies charge. I'm pleased with the results overall.

I can't believe my post was removed about my views on what my thoughts are yet the moderators allow endless racism threads in General Discussion.

Beggars belief

I can't believe my post was removed about my views on what my thoughts are yet the moderators allow endless racism threads in General Discussion.

Beggars belief
Well the roof was an issue over " Colour "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back