Painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am renovating my house and I would like some advice as to what paints to use.

The scenario is as follows:

1) The walls in all rooms (except kitchen and bathroom) are to be hung with 1200 gauge lining paper. Can I just put a couple of coats of emulsion straight onto that with not undercoat/sealer/etc?

2) The bathroom is to be part-tiled, with the remaining walls left as bare plaster. I am also stripping the kitchen back down to bare plaster. How should these walls be prepared and what should I paint them with? I know that emulsion is certainly not the thing to use in kitches and bathrooms because of the steam.

3) All my ceilings are artex. Some of them are to be repaired in places. All need painting to bring them back to a nice white (the previous owners were heavy smokers). What should I paint the artex with? How should it be prepared for painting?

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Thanks,

XMrIS.

Sponsored Links
I would thin the first coat on the lining paper by about 20%

As for the bare plaster by the time you have stripped and prepared the walls they will probably be full of digs...give them a coat of thinned out matt emulsion first so you can see what/where to fill

Emulsion is ok in a kitchen or bathroom providing it doesnt get too steamy
Dont bother with Kitchen and bathroom paint its like glue

For the Artex...you can wash it down if it hasnt been painted, it will wreck the existing repairs..even if it has been painted its a real messy job.

Get a garden sprayer thingy and give the ceiling a coat of water with 25/30% bleach added...that will bleach out the nicotine

Then paint it with matt or silk mixed with 30% PVA...allow to dry thoroughtly between coats

Thanks mate! :D

I shall now measure my surfaces (oh matron!) and go price up some paint ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back