pan connector puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been browsing this site for the last couple of years - it has been a great help for all of my diy issues, but this one is the biggest yet...

I live in a flat that has a bathroom and a separate WC, and I would like to fit a sink in the WC.

To fit the sink in, I need to move the toilet to the left (I only have 1110mm wall to wall width), but I can't figure out how to fit the pan connector as well as a waste for the new basin. I used to have a toilet with a side exit waste pipe. The old toilet cracked so I replaced it using a flexible pan connector...

So I want to cut the 110mm cast iron soil pipe right back to the wall (with a ratchet cutter from a tool hire shop), re-route all of the copper plumbing that is in the picture and move the toilet to the left so that the spigot on the back of the toilet is in line with the edge of the white paint.

The problem is that the offset between the soil pipe and the spigot will be 261mm (centres).

Is it possible to make this connection, as well as some kind of a waste fitting for the basin waste?

I would be really grateful for your help!

Sponsored Links
Maybe the Flexible 90 Degree Pan Connecter with 1 1/4" Universal Boss - 40005050 would work - I would need to go left out of the back of the toilet then take a right turn into the soil pipe (once I have cut it back to the wall).

However.. would the toilet flush cause back flow in the sink if the boss was mounted horizontally?

When I see the pictures of pan connectors with bosses, the boss is always on the top and the pan connector pointing downwards. I would install is it sideways.

And I still think it will be a bit tight with the 261mm soil pipe to spigot offset..

Sponsored Links
I take it it's not possible to cut the pipe outside the building and create a new exit hole for the soil pipe?

Would it be easier to angle the WC at 45 degrees into the corner and box in the soil pipe etc?

Quality work :cry:

Do it properly and cut it through the wall in line with the WC and alter the cast outside.

Pity the poor bstard who buys this house after you move.

EDIT
Sorry Dex just noticed your post above.

Thanks for your advice so far!

unfortunately, the bathroom is the other side of the wall. The internal soil/vent pipe is boxed in behind the sink in the bathroom -there is no way that I can move the soil pipe. This is the plan that I got from the estate agent when I bought the place.

I removed the paneling in the WC to open up a void that used to house some water tanks. - it's been a mess for two years!

Dex - that's a good idea, but I would prefer not to angle the toilet- the space is so narrow that it would look a bit strange.

Tamz - can't afford to move, so the poor bastard that has to live here is me :cry: I really want to do a proper job but I think it is pretty tough!

Picasso -Connecting to the existing soile pipe at the second collar would only be possible if I move the toilet forward, but there is really limited space - it is 1350mm front to back.

Do you have any other ideas?

Cheers!

Is this possible
40000_39516_20959_34246136_thumb.jpg

Here's something to think about - do you really need a separate WC ?

I'd be tempted to turn the two rooms into a modern family bathroom, which would give you more space to play with, avoid the need to have two sinks and give you a much simpler layout.

Thank you for all of these great ideas, it's great to get so many replies!

I think that the room is too narrow to have the toilet going accross- the shortest toilet I can find is 610mm, so that would leave 500mm from the from of the WC to the wall. Not a nice view.

I prefer a separate wc because it is the only toilet in the flat so I will leave the wall where it is.

I am warming to the idea of the corner WC - the pan exit would be in a neat position. Not sure if there would be space for the sink waste boss connection. And the set up would look a bit funny with the square sink that I have already bought (400x400mm from ikea)..

So my prefered choice would be to attempt this to use one of these:

To move the toilet from here:
to the left and add a basin like this:

Do you think it would work?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back