Panasonic American-style fridge freezer warm in top of fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Panasonic NRB54X1WB American-style fridge freezer has suddenly got warm in the top half o the fridge (started a few days ago). The compressor is running; the freezer is working normally and the bottom half of the fridge is still cold.

This is a model with separate evaporators for fridge and freezer, and a 3-way valve to direct the coolant between them, so it can't be due to blocked ducting between the two compartments.

The self-diagnostics mode reports no faults.

I can't tell if the fridge fan is working or not. But looking at the service manual , if the fridge fan had failed, the self-diagnostics should report this?

Another option might be the 3-way valve. But would the bottom of the fridge be cold (6 degrees ish) if the 3-way valve was stuck on 'freezer'?

Anything else that could cause this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I would be checking the fan. I have no idea how efficient the diagnostics are.

Thanks opps. In the end I did a big defrost and also disassembled the interior. The fridge evaporator was totally encased in ice. Since the failure was sudden, I suppose the ice must have grown to the point where it either blocked rotation of the fan or blocked off a channel for air flow. Confirmed the fan runs by running the fridge with inside panels removed, cleaned out the condensation drain for good measure, reassembled, and it seems to be working properly now!

Sponsored Links
Have you noticed any clicking when the door is opened, indicates ice around the fan as it turns off whenever the door is opened? and fan blade hits ice building up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back