Panda Active Scan - True or False reporting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I am running AVG 8 antivirus & Zone Alarm as the standard anti virus, anti spyware and firewall on my system. I also have Livebox with firewall.

I also occasionally run Spybot and one of the online anti virus progs as an added precaution.

Today I decided to run a couple of online systems and was a little surprised at the results. Trend reported a clean system but Panda Active Scan reported 88 infected files and 66 vulnerabilities! The Panda scan took ages to complete in comparison to Trend

Panda also reported "We have detected AVG enabled and up to date. You need better protection for your PC - Sign Up Now"

Well the cynical side of me is wondering if this is a marketing ploy. On the other hand could it be that Panda is that much better than AVG?

Any thoughts?

Edit: Ran Spybot after which recognised and cleared 20+ tracking cookies etc

Sponsored Links
Tony,
I am always a bit dubious about any 'FREE' scanner that then finds stuff that can only be removed by paying for their 'Removal Software'.
The odd one may be OK (no names, because I haven't come across one yet) but to me it stinks!

Download and install SuperAntiSpyware from SuperAntiSpyware

Check for updates and then reboot into safe mode and run a Full Scan with it. Let it ditch everything it finds. I have never come across a report of it coming up with false positives and removing something it shouldn't.
dave

I am always a bit dubious about any 'FREE' scanner that then finds stuff that can only be removed by paying for their 'Removal Software'.
The odd one may be OK (no names, because I haven't come across one yet) but to me it stinks!
Dave,I agree, have seen a few which operate this so called "Free" way. Wish they would inform you upfront that you only get a report without paying - then I could ignore them :D Have to say a bit disappointed if Panda now operating in this fashion, they never used to. I believe that the Panda scan however will allow you to remove at least some of the rubbish it finds.

Thanks for the link. Did a little research first (no offence intended :) ). Downloaded and ran as you suggested. Very good app. found quite a lot (200) adware tracking cookies that other apps had missed

Sponsored Links
hi, i put this together for someone a while ago so it might be useful here:
[code:1]http://rapidshare.com/files/114419176/malwarethings.rar[/code:1]
google the names of the apps if they dont contain readme's
All the apps in there i got from here:
[code:1]http://icrontic.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57[/code:1]
i would say thats the best place to study up on this stuff...

alternatively buy a mac ;)

good luck,
turk.

Back