Panic - Planning Officer Impending :-) Pics Included.

The windows from where they would draw any lines are essentially her patio doors in her dining room area :(

Do they work with you to suggest amendments to plans or will they just outright reject?

Sponsored Links
OH MY GOODNESS ME! So it gets even better! We had a planning officer arrive this afternoon as expected, but turns out he wasn't there about the extension but apparently "someone" reported my husbands garage as being used for commercial purposes (he is a joiner but works on building sites NOT from home) and our drive gates as being too high at 2.5m. So we have had an enforcement officer around as well!

The officer was absolutely lovely and explained that if the gates had been there longer than 4 years there is nothing really that can be done, and i think he was a bit miffed that when i opened the garage it was a bonafide man cave complete with bikes and a treadmill!

Seriously, can people stoop so low? Coincidence that we have two planning officers coming on the same day given we have submitted planning permission with one neighbour objection?!

ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Not that any of this matters from a planning perspective, however what has your relationship been like with the neighbour? Do you generally get on or have their been challenges before? I note the boundary fence is quite high and as others have touched on, the wood store is slightly higher again. Was anything mentioned by the neighbour when both of these were erected, even in a half joking manner?

I think it's pretty safe to say your neighbours have probably been the instigator in the second planning/enforcement officer, however as you've nothing to worry about in terms of the garage and gates I'd try not to worry about that. Easy to say I know!

As for the extension, I'll play devils advocate. Whenever someone builds such an extension i.e. close to the neighbours property and any ground floor windows e.g. kitchen, it can be understandable that not every neighbour will be happy about it. That's human nature. However if your proposal ticks all the boxes required by local planners and they approve, you're 100% within your rights to proceed. The last house I lived in was semi-detached with kitchens adjoining. I have to admit, if my neighbour had built an extension from their kitchen, I wouldn't have been too happy due to reducing the view etc. However if said extension was approved, there's not much I'd have been able to do about it.

In short, if you're complying with the rules, you have the (legal) right to proceed.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, does sound like the neighbour thought they'd be clever and put in a complaint - might actually work in your favour, as they will see the neighbour as a trouble maker / moaner.

Have you lived there long?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back