Papering over mist coated wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all

Have had our lounge re-plastered (back to brick, dabbed, skimmed) and Mrs BP asks for the whole room to be painted the same colour so all new plaster has been given 2 mist coats (thinned down matt emulsion) in prep for the top coat.

Now I am sure you know where this is going?.............Mrs BP in her wisdom has now decided she would like the chinmey breast wall papered instead so, how do i go about preparing this wall for papering? I would normally have left it unpainted and sized it prior to papering but am unsure of where to go now its been painted.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

ATB

BP

Sponsored Links
You should be able to paper directly onto the misted wall without problems as it has now been sealed and will not absorb the paste from the paper too much. You can still size the wall to help the position/slide the paper if you like.

As you have double misted the wall, you shouldn't really have any problems with peeling paint when you strip it off in the future either.

I assume you have left the suggested drying time for the skim to dry (7-10 days).

Thanks for your reply and advice, much appreciated.

Yes, the skimming was left for 2 weeks before it was painted and was definately dry. I may well go with your advice of still sizing the wall as Mrs BP is bound to choose a paper with a nightmare of a pattern match.

Thanks again.

ATB

BP

I am not a great decorator, but I like emulsioning the walls after filling or smoothing any blemishes. I find it quicker and easier, and the room looks respectable if I am slow to carry on with the papering. It gives a regular colour, which helps you spot any remaining blemishes so you can correct them, and stops patches or filler showing through the wallpaper. To me it seems to give an easy surface to paper on, with regular absorbency and no grab, so you can slide the paper if you need to, because it does not suck the moisture out of the paste. It helps to have a paint of similar colour to the paper, then any wide joins are less noticable. IMO it also makes it easier to strip and clean the walls next time. But as I say, I am no great decorator.

Sponsored Links
Only thing is that lining will not give you anything that the emulsion wont. Lining paper is used to give an even abscorboncy rate over the whole surface. If the emulsion used is a trade matt with no vinyl in it then it will come off when the paper is stripped. It has to be a decent vinyl matt to stay on after.

Papering over lining paper is the best possible surface to paper over.
That's probably why you'll see it on the instructions of the paper and it's wise to follow them in case of any problems.
If you were to have problems papering over vinyl matt, you'd be snookered if the manufactures make an issue of it.

The rest of your post Rob, I agree with.

you should always cross line under a paper as a matter of course

the issue here is that the wall was emulsioned and the "client" changed her mind, nothing new in that and in the trade we have an armoury that can cope with changing horses mid race

misting is a prime coat, its purpose is to kill the porosity in the substrate, it isnt a tenacious primer that soaks in and sticks the paint to the wall, the purpose of thinning paint is that when the surface sucks the moisture from the coating there is sufficiant water left to allow the paint to oxidise and flowout, the paint itself is still sitting on he surface rather than being part of it

when you paper the paper expands and then contractss on drying pulling the paper taut to the surface, the papre remains in tension all the time it is on the wall, tha danger with papering over emulsion is the weak point is wwhere the emulsion sits on the wall, the emulsion is not in tension and can easily pull away. lining wont resolve this

fortunatly there is an answer, fortunatly the op used matt emulsion not vinyl which is correct for misting as it allows moisture through the coat to evaporate, we can use this to our advantage

zinzzer make a trade product called gardz, this is a tenacious primer than ccan be used in place of misting, it can also be used in these situations as it does soak into the substrate killing porosity and strapping down friable surfaces

its not cheap but

anyone wwho treats diy seriously is aiming to achieve proffesional results, I dont kow the size of room and the scope of redecoration but you are looking at a saving in the region of £1000 on labour costs, spending under a 10th of that to save yourself heartache and grief from the "client" is money well spent

I use gardz as a matter of course as it pays for itself in time saved and no call backs for lifting edges or poor joints

its how we profesionals do it and I dont mind sharing trade secrets with keen diyers

fortunatly the op used matt emulsion not vinyl which is correct for misting as it allows moisture through the coat to evaporate,
you're saying that non-vinyl matt is best for walls that are going to be papered?

but we heard earlier that
If the emulsion used is a trade matt with no vinyl in it then it will come off when the paper is stripped. It has to be a decent vinyl matt to stay on after.

what alternative comments?

zinzzer make a trade product called gardz

its how we profesionals do it and I dont mind sharing trade secrets with keen diyers

Not my way :!:
Not saying that it's no good, it's probably very good indeed, but Lining is the perfect base.

FROM Graham & Brown website -

When should I use lining paper?

We would always recommend using lining paper as the perfect base on which to hang wallpaper.

Hi John

for mistcoating always use a matt emulsion, never use a vinyl as the vinyl coating will trap moisture in the substrate causing bubbling. like wise the first decoration needs to be matt emulsion, 12 months or so later a vinyl matt can be used, this also applies to scrubbable matts etc

zinzzer make a trade product called gardz

Not my way :!:
Not saying that it's no good, it's probably very good indeed, but Lining is the perfect base.

FROM Graham & Brown website -

When should I use lining paper?

We would always recommend using lining paper as the perfect base on which to hang wallpaper.

Hi Growler

you , G&B and myself are all on the same page with this, you should always line under paper

the problem here isnt to line or not to line but how you line a recently emulsioned substrate without the paper pulling the emulsion from the wall

fortunatly the walls were dot and dabbed or I would be saying papering the new plaster is a definate no no, but with an application of Gardz the moisture from the dabbing will not come through to the paper

O.K Mtb.
but....mist coat twice then Zinsser Gardz then lining paper then finished paper on a chimney breast is a bit..
Motorhead.

I'd have to agree with you on that one Growler. It just isnt necessary. I always get good results with my papering and dont have to resort to using expensive primers, and most times without lining paper. Im not against lining paper in any way and i know its the way to go on certain papers, but it isnt always necessary. Experience over 30 odd years has taught me this. I have never had to go back becuase of lifting joints or splitting seams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back