papering over vinyl wallpaper

The problem with all of this is that vinyl wallpaper sheds water based products cos its water proof. Difficult sometimes to get paint ot stay on it. Also when this type of paper gets painted it has a chance of bubbling up and not going back down. Most decorators would advise to strip it off first as last as a result.

Sponsored Links
Thought I'd give a quick update. I've spent days painting. Flipping not used to this sort of graft!! Arms are killing!!

First, I did a thin coat of white, then a proper coat of white to fully hide the pattern/colour of the wallpaper. Next, two coats of the colour. It looks great! The only problem I had was when I tried to paint the next coat before the last coat had completely dried.

I appreciate all the advice you guys gave me. I probably got lucky and I know it could all have gone badly wrong. For me, at the end of the day, I was willing to gamble a weekend of wasted effort to end up back where I was last week - facing stripping the lot off and hoping Spice would move closer to Manchester!

Here's hoping I don't get up one morning and find the lot has washed off the walls!!

Pam

Glad its worked out for you Pam, and thanks for popping in to let us know, hope you continue to pop in and say hello. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back