Paranoid?...maybe not!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recall that a certain poster here, softus (or was it 'soft in the head'), amongst others loves to accuse anyone who has raised issues of privacy as being paranoid...

So I wonder what he/she/it would make of this?

Linky Linky

Britain's largest police force is using software that can map nearly every move suspects and their associates make in the digital world, prompting an outcry from civil liberties groups.

The Metropolitan police has bought Geotime, a security programme used by the US military, which shows an individual's movements and communications with other people on a three-dimensional graphic. It can be used to collate information gathered from social networking sites, satellite navigation equipment, mobile phones, financial transactions and IP network logs.

Not so paranoid new eh... ;)

Sponsored Links
It's not that the police have this ability, it's can they be trusted to target it at the right people. As far as I am concerned, no they can't.

But why should they have this ability?...

Paranoid people ( ;) ) might say that in the future webcams might be used to determine who was actually posting something online from a particular location..

Would you agree with that ability, bearing in mind that what is happening now was dismissed as fantasy only a few years ago?

Sponsored Links
anyone with an iPhone is stupid...

not so stupid as those who think it has nothing to do with the police though... ;)

At the end of the day, law abiding citizens have nothing to fear from any method the police may use to track their whereabouts in the digital world. Whether it's by tracking their mobile phone, or computer use. (cue police killing Brazilian terror suspect who had done nothing wrong)
Anomalies apart though, if they have the ability to track suspects and known associates, then I'm all for it. How much easier to crime solving , than the ability to place a suspect at the scene of the crime at the time?.
Some will no doubt question whether the police should have this ability (to track known criminals ??), but I reckon if used properly I have nothing against it.
Only do gooding liberals will mention the Human Rights of the criminals , the police would use this method on (with total disregard for potential victims of such people.

At the end of the day, law abiding citizens have nothing to fear from any method the police may use to track their whereabouts in the digital world. Whether it's by tracking their mobile phone, or computer use. (cue police killing Brazilian terror suspect who had done nothing wrong)
Anomalies apart though, if they have the ability to track suspects and known associates, then I'm all for it. How much easier to crime solving , than the ability to place a suspect at the scene of the crime at the time?.
Some will no doubt question whether the police should have this ability (to track known criminals ??), but I reckon if used properly I have nothing against it.
Only do gooding liberals will mention the Human Rights of the criminals , the police would use this method on (with total disregard for potential victims of such people.
More right wing b*llshit from you then jj

so nothing has changed... ;)

Why is it BS? Explain why the police having this Geotime software is a bad thing, if it's used properly, without getting into any nonsense, about, it won't be used properly.
I can't see any argument about it's proper use.

Why is it BS? Explain why the police having this Geotime software is a bad thing, if it's used properly,

But it won't be, the police can't even be trusted to use their powers of arrest properly.

Why is it BS? Explain why the police having this Geotime software is a bad thing, if it's used properly, without getting into any nonsense, about, it won't be used properly.
I can't see any argument about it's proper use.
Please explain why time and again that it's only innocent people that this type of 'technology' is used against...

Please explain why section 44 stopped and searched nearly a million innocent people, and yet not one terrorist was found by these searches!

It will never be used 'properly' as any sane person knows!

Please explain why time and again that it's only innocent people that this type of 'technology' is used against...

Now that is BS. Your telling me that the police, time and time again, target innocent people? Next you'll be telling me that our prisons are full of innocent people. There's not one guilty person in prison?
When it comes to knocking the police, there's none knocks harder than you. Tell me, if your house got burgled , who would you phone? Let me think, ahhh yes, that would be the insurance company, Don't wanna put the plod off arresting innocent people now do we?

Your so cynical?

Now that is BS. Your telling me that the police, time and time again, target innocent people? Next you'll be telling me that our prisons are full of innocent people. There's not one guilty person in prison?
When it comes to knocking the police, there's none knocks harder than you. Tell me, if your house got burgled , who would you phone? Let me think, ahhh yes, that would be the insurance company, Don't wanna put the plod off arresting innocent people now do we?

Your so cynical?
I could put it another way...are there any innocent people in prison?

And what is worse?...targetting a whole population 'just in case', or losing a case or two?

You haven't got a clue as regards human rights, so I'll take no lectures from you thank you very much!

Now that is BS. Your telling me that the police, time and time again, target innocent people?

You should be innocent until proven guilty so technically yes , the police mostly do target innocent people.

You should be innocent until proven guilty so technically yes , the police mostly do target innocent people.
In our 'brave new world' everyone is a potentional criminal...

Not surprising then that some don't disappoint the so called authorities... ;)

Sponsored Links